Mulu Eco Lodge and conservation in Choke Mountains at the source of the Blue Nile!
Welcome to the Choke Mountains at over 3,000 meters altitude at the source of the Blue Nile in Ethiopia. At our cosy Ecolodge culture, nature and society form a natural unity.
We are striving to fight rural exodus from this rich piece of the earth by introducing smooth eco-tourism and working on community projects of our NGO (founded 3 years ago in Germany for educational projects in Ethiopia).
It’s a genuine experience for tourists and a strong force for the preservation of the regional workforce, the cultural heritage and the unique environment.
Land & project in Ethiopia – description
Looking for potential volunteers in the list of these projects to be done.
- English/Sports lessons for the farmers’ children
- Help in building and finishing the Community House
- Organising / Building the Elementary School
- Help to cook food and teach new recipes for the locals (they mostly don’t use fresh vegetables)
- Biogas! This could help to prevent deforestation for firewood as a model for all the farmers in the surrounding.
- water pumping system: the place is about 80m above the river, maybe possible with the hydraulic RAM pumps?
- water cleaning/filtering system
- wastewater management
- clay/earthen building techniques: we built huts according to the local knowledge with a wood structure which is covered in cob, but to prevent further reforestation we are very interested in learning and trying out other cob construction methods without wood, like with tyres, sandbags, or sun-dried cob bricks. All materials are on site or available in Ethiopia.
- We also want to learn more about building rocket Mass heaters to improve the farmers living conditions.
- Permaculture, Food Forest, Organic Gardening
- Bamboo types of furniture/ construction: there is a lot of bamboo in our area and also some local handcraft knowledge about the usage. We would be very happy about an exchange if one of you have own experiences with bamboo! We could use that for school furniture.
- Compost toilets for school and community house
If you have any own ideas that may fit our concept, we are very open to discuss and implement! Interested? To join our eco project in Ethiopia use the contact details below.