Teach and travel in Uthaithani, Thailandia
My name is Fai and I run a small language center and here we teach conversation skills to children that are ages 3-18. We also do lessons with adults. We realize the importance of English and having fun while learning.
We are about 15 minutes drive from town so we have no tourists and very few foreigners. The students have no opportunities to use English in conversation so we love for volunteers to come and help them practice speaking out loud with games and activities while learning new material. Generally, the students’ level of spoken English is beginner or intermediate level. Some of them are developed by volunteers and reach an advanced level.
What we exchange with our volunteers:
1. Teaching techniques. If you are already a teacher we can share our experiences.
2. Exploring the local Uthaithani areas (hot springs, caves, mountains, markets, waterfalls) during free time.
3. Eating local and traditional Thai food both at the school and around the area.
4. Teaching volunteers how to cook by using different techniques. Some dishes I have taught before to volunteers are: honey toast, green curry, shabu shabu, tom yum soup, padthai, papaya salad etc. This activity always do on every sunday.
5. Meet local people around Uthaithani. They are always eager to get to know volunteers because they don’t see a lot of foreigners.
6. The volunteers who stay and work with us 3 weeks (working everyday 5 hours/day),
Chaing mai trip (Maewang area)
- get free Elephant Nature Park - Single Day
- accommodation at Ban Bon Doi homestay 2 nights
2 breakfast + 2 dinner (Local food) included
Pai, Mae Hongson
- free 3 nights accommodation at Jikko Harem with Dorm room.
P.S. Work with us 6 weeks we give you both trips.
1. Monday – Friday: The evening class is from 16.30 pm- 18.00 pm. ( Switch between 4-6 volunteers)
2. Skype lesson with adults : 18.50 - 22.10 on the weekday and 13.00-15.40 on the weekend. These lessons are split between the volunteer we have. Typically 40 minutes per class. 3-5 classes per volunteers
3. Saturday – Sunday: There are 4 classes each day. They start at 9.00 am and end at 14.30 pm. We have 4 volunteers at the time. so, 1.5 - 3 hours per person during the weekend.
4. The age and size of the class depends on which day it is.
1. The school is on the first floor, the rest of the house is my home where you will also live! We even have a nice rooftop where it's possible to have cookouts and watch the sunset.
2. We provide a bedroom with an bathroom connected. In the bedroom is a fan, mosquito net, pillow, blanket and mattress. Depending on how many volunteers we have, you may be sharing the room.
3. On the first floor is a small refrigerator that you may use!
4. Food: We provide dinner during the week. On the weekends we will provide breakfast (toast and coffee) and lunch for you. You will need to provide your own food for the other meals, or go to local restaurants.
Note: Please bring your own toiletries and towel with you.
You will need to provide your own food for the other meals, or go to local restaurants. There are many local restaurants close to the house that are cheap (30-50 THB) and super yummy.
1. Uthaithani province is located in the lower part of northern Thailand. The town that the school is located in is called Nong Chang. Uthaithani is a province abundant in natural resources, such as forests and different types of wildlife. One day you might experience the natural hot spring and the next day you may get to see over 9 species of bats in one of our huge caves!
2. Moreover, you can see the different lifestyles of locals, such as the life of raft residents on Sakae Krang River, a waterway that aided the birth of the province. It has been a lifeline for its people since ancient times by assisting our provincial trading. Life revolving around the river eventually grew from a community into the major province that it is today.
How to get here from Bangkok:
You will take the Minivan from Mhochit bus station.You can buy the ticket at platform number 3-4. Also in the terminal is at the ticket window number 24. The trip costs 150 THB and lasts 2-3 hours before you arrive at the bus station where I will pick you up (minivans leave every hour).