Samaritan Volunteer Project is a non-government organization based in providing education to the children and youth in our community. We are located in south Dar Es Salaam about 15 kilometres from the city centre.
- Teaching children in our Samaritan school (ages 2 – 15 years).
Around 50 children and youth come to learn English, writing, reading, math, art, language, vocational skills, games and sports.
- Computer training classes for local youth:
- Basics of using a computer
- Microsoft Office applications
- Improving our social media presence and website development, with new content, design improvement and photography.
- Teaching children in three local nursery schools (ages 4-6 years). Work with the local teacher to instruct children writing, math, art, language, vocational skills, games and sports.
- Fundraising. Provide ideas and strategies for making money online or with sponsors to support our projects.
Through our projects, you will not only have the opportunity to volunteer but also experience the everyday life of a local. Get around using local transportation, browse markets to find ingredients to cook local food, and enjoy exercise and football at the community grounds. All of these are great ways to learn and practice Swahili and engage with locals.
Volunteers stay in our volunteer house. This has four shared rooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen, the class area for the children and a common area.
You will feel safe since the area is very quiet, in a friendly community and the house has an exterior door.
The contribution to accommodation is 43 euros (51.53 USD) per week
It includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, internet (Wi-Fi) and contributes to household expenses (electricity, gas and water).
Bedding is provided but you can bring your own towel and toiletries. See also other costs on “transportation” paragraph
We will pick you up but our organization is not able to pay for the taxis, these will be paid by the volunteers. The costs are:
- From the airport: USD 25.
- If you come from the ferry station: USD 20
- From a hotel and hostel, we should speak first, because the cost depends on the distance.
If you want to use public transport, we can give you directions to get to our neighbourhood and meet you on the main road to guide you to the house.
Volunteering with us is the perfect way to experience Tanzania as a local while we contribute to our community
Our website and social media for more information