If I could go back to when I was 17 or 18 I would definetely volunteer sooner! I would especially pick up Wwoofing as a volunteering and travelling mode.
Unfortunately, I started Wwoofing only in my late 20s, which was not too late, but it could have been earlier.
But hey, what is Wwoof?
A detailed introduction about what is Wwoof and its history can be found and read on the main organization website.
Basically, it means: volunteering opportunities on organic farms at a worldwide level.
In practice, you will volunteer in countryside and rural areas of the world, mostly in farms, or eco-communities, where the locals engage in sustainable activities and ecological practices to cultivate the land.
I will give you a few reasons why we should start volunteering with Wwoof:
- It’s free. – You’re given food and accommodation for free.
- You are insured.
- Your help is offered to small farms that work ecologically, and produce organic food.
- It’s a cultural exchange: you learn how to produce healthy food and work sustainably.
You can also learn a new language; a new culture! And live a different, very different lifestyle!
- You will live in an inspiring and beautiful rural location… really!
- Most of these farms are not only “farms”: some of them are alternative or ecological realities, such as eco-villages, intentional communities, or small tribes where people aim at being self-sufficient (meaning independent from a capitalistic-enslavery system).
- You meet a lot of inspiring people: from spiritual people to great scientific and ecological minds.
- One last reason: there’s a high chance you will fall in love with somebody and maybe experience some romance in the farm. ^^
There’s only one subscription to pay every year and it depends on the country where you choose to do Wwoofing. It’s about 20-30 euros.
On Voluntouring we offer volunteering opportunities that are similar to the Wwoofing programs (food, accommodation, cultural and volunteer help exchange). As a matter of fact, in this website, you can find some NON-OFFICIAL wwoofing opportunities. Also here.
If the countryside is not for you we have also featured some URBAN volunteer opportunities (programs that allow you to volunteer in a city).
So guys, take my advice: try this experience at least once in your lifetime!
If you decide to go Wwoofing… let us know and tell us how were your adventures! 🙂