Update & News
SmileNGO – This announcement has been updated. Read the new announcement here.
India urgently needs volunteers to help in different projects as follows. Click on these links to read the info pack, and use the application form (down below) to apply.
- Street Children Welfare: http://bit.ly/2V8PIiv, #RaisingPeace
- Organic Farming & Nursery Development: http://bit.ly/2I1m7DO, #StopClimateChange
- Yoga/ Meditation Workshop with #refugee children: http://bit.ly/2CKMdr8,
- Renovation & Painting School building: http://bit.ly/2I1asVO,
- Street Dogs Welfare: http://bit.ly/2HMLpXc,
- Voluntourism Workcamps India: http://bit.ly/2HTuy52,
- Indian Festival Workcamps: https://drive.google.com/…/1KvR9X3IFRtwHoO6j8JmchiA87…/view…
- Underprivileged Girls Empowerment: http://bit.ly/2FIP3xR
When you are volunteering with SMILE, you are joining a family of fellow volunteers and NGO activists. Everyone is considered equal, and everyone is committed to helping each other.
Smile Society is an NGO and a volunteering project in India that offers several volunteering opportunities all year long.
Projects in India for energetic youth volunteers.
Workcamps in India
These are 2 weeks camps where volunteers (15-45 years) from all over the globe join together to help in different projects.
These are 4-24 weeks projects where individuals can participate to help in assigned projects.
Special Groups & volunteer opportunities in India
Customized 2-4 weeks projects made for specific groups of youth/students/professionals coming from the same Country / Institution.
Teen Groups – volunteer programs India
Specially customized camps made for Teen groups between 12-15 years coming from same country/Institution led by at least one adult leader.
A unique opportunity for families to spend their holidays for good causes in India or Abroad while having fun to explore that part of the world in very affordable ways.
An exciting opportunity for national and international students to volunteer in different good causes during their gap year.
Due to limited places, however, availability to this project is subject to change.
- No financial support is available for volunteers.
- All projects based in India are available for the whole year (while Projects abroad are mostly available between May-September by our partners Ngo/Npo).
Registration Fees – transparency fee
All volunteers participate in Volunteer Abroad/India projects are required to pay a contribution fee to SMILE, India.
2 weeks: 200€
3 weeks: 300€
4 weeks: 400€
5 weeks: 500€
And so on…
Maximum 20 weeks!
Any group up to 30 members welcome.
Living cost for International volunteers
International volunteers participating in Volunteer India projects organised by SMILE are required to cover their own living costs as per the local host family. Keep in mind that:
- It is a non-refundable living cost that goes to the host family for their services to provide food, accommodation and other facilities for volunteers.
- You are requested to pay preferably by cash to the host representative on your arrival for your full duration, applied in advance.
- Remember that SMILE receives no financial help from the local government or any international agencies.
Please exchange your money from the airport if needed for your personal use. You can also withdraw money from the ATM machine with your visa/master etc. cards
Our local members, volunteers and host families are the only people who help the organization to run its activities around the country.
By joining the SMILE society NGO you became a part of this movement.
As per required. Please contact your nearest Indian Embassy or the Embassy of the destination country. For any assistance please contact us at any time.
All volunteers are requested to look after their own medical expenses and other personal expenses (transportation, medical cost, medicine cost, communicational cost, gift, toilet paper, laundry, drinks or anything that are not mentioned in the living cost section will be volunteers’ own responsibility).
Volunteers are also requested to carry their own medical and travel insurance.
Volunteering weekly schedules
Free. You are welcome to travel to nearby places but you are requested to join the Monday morning project on time.
Nearest Indian Airport:
Netaji Suvash Chandra International Airport, Kolkata. 8 km away from SMILE office and your accommodation.
SMILE Head Office location
You will have to use the locally available public transportation during your term. Airport transfer would be available as per the information.
Soon after the Volunteer arrives in India, they will be taken to the host family’s place for orientation and to get a refresher. They are allowed to take a bit of rest before the orientation meeting.
There would be 2 days of orientation.
- You are requested to meet our representative at the meeting place at the exact time as per info sheet.
- If you arrive early then you can have your stay in any of the different hotels available nearby the Airport, within 2 -3 km on the road popularly called V.I.P road.
- You are requested to take a cab to check in at any of these hotels.
- If you arrive at earlier night then you are requested to stay inside the airport terminal and meet at the next morning with our representative at 12 noon.
- Dormitory basis at host family (as a group/individual) or
- as per available on arrival, on a cot with a mattress/on the floor with a mattress;
- shared accommodation (normally male & female separate room).
Group volunteers will stay at the same place. Your accommodation will be available till 6 PM of the last day of your camp. We are unable to provide you with any accommodation before or after these dates: please arrange your own accommodation in case of early arrival or late departure.
You will get 3 times local veg food from the host family as available on arrival. Please do not expect any kind of special dishes (veg/non-veg) or cold drinks or special living room or air-conditioned room during your term. You are requested to get ready for a simple and challenging life.
What to bring
You can follow traditional packing lists, but there are several items that would be particularly helpful for this volunteer experience:
- bed sheet
- malaria medication
- mosquito repellent with DEET
- alarm clock OR watch with an alarm clock
- sleeping bag
- any games or craft items like Origami would be great for the kids
- snacks from your country
- music/ dress / special souvenir from your country
- medicine and first aid supplies for emergency personal use
- special games or study material for kindergarten standard kids
- The fibrous kind (for example, linen or cotton or anything that is COOL and dries fast in the natural sun)
- bring conservative clothing that covers the shoulders (ex: shirts with capped sleeves)
- NO shorts, bikinis, sleeveless clothes outside your own bed room (strictly).
- head covering (bandanas, hat)
- a towel that dries Fast.
Documents required to Volunteer with SMILE are as follows:
- Passport and Visa copies
- Recent colour photograph (4 copies).
- Police background check report
- Reference Letter either from your Employer/Educational Institution / Organization.
- Parents NOC for all minor applicants.
- Another Photo ID copy & original issued by your government other than a passport.
CONTACT DETAILS 🔍📧
If you’re interested in joining our team of volunteers, please send a brief introductory message to email@example.com. We’ll put you in contact with our coordinators at SMILE NGO as soon as possible. To ensure a timely response, please make sure to include “SMILE Society NGO India” in the subject line of your email.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with us. We can’t wait to hear from you!
More pictures from Smile NGO:
See more volunteering opportunities in India