Volunteer in Chios, Greece – Updated February 2020
Urgent call for hands-on volunteers THIS MONTH during the set-up phase of a new project in Chios, Greece!
At Action for Education, we’re in the process of setting up a new centre for youth living in Vial Camp on Chios. This new space has huge potential and will provide access to vital services, including hygiene facilities (showers, toilets, sanitary products), nutrition, psychosocial support, recreation and education (language classes, projects, digital literacy). Over the next few weeks, we’re preparing the space: designing the interior and exterior, painting, building, landscaping and problem-solving. If you’re free to help us during this intensive and exciting phase, please get in touch (using the contact details at the end of this article).
We’re looking for individuals or groups who can bring creativity, enthusiasm and skills for a minimum of 2 weeks, and start ASAP.
Free accommodation provided!
If you’re interested in volunteering on this project once fully open from early March onwards, please see our website, standard criteria: 23+, 6 weeks min. commitment apply)
Project announcement here – Be Aware And Share!
Volunteer in Greece with AFE -Updated January 2020
You want to have an impact, change something? Are you responsible, creative and a multitasker who believes in equal chances and that education is a human right? Would you want to work alongside a dedicated team on allowing refugee kids, youth and women some normalcy, teaching English, planning children activities and sports events, creating a safe space for those who have been on the run for months?
Then what you’re really looking for is a voluntary service with Action for Education in Greece.
Action for Education is an independent, grassroots organization founded in the UK and Greece in 2017. We develop and support projects that aim to remove the barriers to education for refugees. We are currently looking for new enthusiastic volunteers who would like to join our teams on Samos and Chios from February onwards.
Key responsibilities include (depending on location):
- planning and teaching lessons (mainly English, but also basic Maths, Sciences, and other languages)
- providing social support including creating an environment to build the confidence, resilience, and self-esteem of participants
- organizing activities to do in the youths centers (cooking, sports, art, music, and whatever skill or activity you would like to teach)
- daycare for children (2 to 7-year olds)
- assisting with computer use
- attending weekly team meetings, remaining flexible based on the project needs, working in a diverse team (multinational, all ages and genders)
- We support you with the application process and accommodation on the islands
- We require volunteers to be at least 22 years old, be comfortable speaking English (other languages welcome, especially Arabic, Farsi, and French) and willing to commit for at least 6 weeks
- Since we are an NGO and completely dependent on donations and voluntary work, we, unfortunately, cannot provide any sort of monetary compensation for flights/visas etc.
- Experience in teaching, ESL, social work, youth work, or project-based activities, awareness of migration issues and sensitivity to working with vulnerable communities are essential
See our contact details section (at the end of this article) to get in touch with us (not the comment section).
Previous announcement (22 Oct 2019) – Urgent call for volunteers – November 2019 onwards
Hey, I am Lea from Action for Education! Action for Education is an independent, grassroots organization founded in the UK and Greece in 2017. We develop and support projects that aim to remove the barriers to education for refugees.
We’re urgently looking for volunteers to join us on Samos from November onwards.
The hotspot camp on Samos has the capacity for just 650 asylum seekers, yet currently holds more than 4000. The conditions experienced by asylum seekers are despicable, living exposed to heat and cold, wild animals, and without adequate access to medical, legal, nutritional and educational support.
We’ve been working on Samos since just early 2019. Our other projects on Chios and in Athens work with youth and women, and we’ve brought across many of our learnings and the project on Samos has developed quickly and in some exciting directions. Currently, we running two main centres that offer educational and recreational activities for youth aged 18 – 23 and children aged 2 – 7.
We’re looking for experienced teachers, youth workers, and early childhood specialists to join us at ‘The Banana House’ and ‘The Nest’!
English (required), any other welcome (especially Greek, Arabic, Farsi, French).
watch our volunteer testimonials and project updates on
or email me directly on firstname.lastname@example.org for any additional information.
or email directly on email@example.com
for any additional information and an in order for me to answer any questions, you may have.
Action for Education
Volunteer Recruitment Officer
See more opportunities to help refugees Section
More opportunities in Greece