Help at an animal shelter in Morocco – Food and accommodation included. We are seeking a volunteer Site Manager to help manage our site based in Assersif, Aourir, South Morocco. You will report directly to the Shelter Owner & Business Operations Manager. Morocco Animal Aid, a community project, supporting local animal welfare charities, associations and care providers.
Some info about the organization
MAA is based in the Tamraght/Taghazout area of South-West Morocco, working directly with street animals, members of the local communities and local organisations to provide aid to sick, injured, suffering and homeless animals. The aid we provide includes general advice, sign-posting to care, providers, transportation, emergency care, fostering and re-homing. MAA is a project built on a pool of community members willing to volunteer their time and services and we are entirely reliant on the compassion, kindness and commitment of like-minded people locally, nationally and internationally. This project is able to support the good deeds and selfless work of many international organisations through fundraising and donations. We also rely on volunteers to notify us of problem areas, injured animals and on a more positive note, people and charities doing humanitarian work in places unknown.
About the role of the volunteer.
The Site Manager will be responsible for running the day to day schedule of the shelter/s. You will be responsible for managing volunteers, monitoring the safety, sanitation & upkeep of the shelter & ensuring the safe & humane treatment of all animals in care.
Daily tasks at the shelter include:
- Cleaning: Poop scoop, rubbish collection, general sanitation of the shelter.
- Walking the dogs for 45-60 mins at a time on a rotating roster.
- Animal Training: Training walks, to aid socialisation or to assist rehabilitation.
- Staff Training: New volunteer inductions & patient care training.
- Medical Treatment: Administering specialised treatments to animals when required.
- Projects: Other initiatives, such as building, administration etc.
Role and Responsibilities
Volunteers will be responsible for:
- ensuring that volunteers values & behaviours align with Morocco Animal Aid long term goals & objectives.
- planning the volunteer schedule to ensure adequate coverage for the day to day running of the shelter/s & activities required to meet the needs of the shelter. This includes when a volunteer is sick or is unable to attend their shift, the appropriate cover is arranged quickly.
- ensuring volunteers adherence & implementation to the shelters rules & procedures.
- communicating volunteer responsibilities & ensuring all tasks are executed safely, efficiently & completely as expected.
- Communicate regularly with Management and volunteers to ensure that they are aware of any issues pertinent to their areas of responsibility.
- Lead volunteer meetings and regular communication with Management to share ideas and suggestions for improving animal care and the quality of the organization as a whole.
- Ensuring that volunteers are up to date with any changes to animal patient care, shelter policies, procedures or organisation initiatives.
- Management & maintenance of the animal intake programme from entry to exit.
- Monitoring of animal treatment care & feeding programmes & rapidly identifying any health problems (medical &/or behavioural) to the Shelter Manager.
- Follow & enforce disease control protocol to minimise the spread of infection & disease.
- When appropriate accompany animals to the vet or assist in sterilisation/surgery initiatives.
- 4 Hours a day, 6 days a week on a rotating roster between the hours of 8:30 am – 12:30 pm & 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm. 4 hours is the minimum expected to be
- Days off are Thursday (All Day) & Friday mornings.
Please note: there are circumstances that may require additional input outside these hours. Circumstances such as emergencies, meetings &/or schedule planning. Site Managers are expected to be available to contact all times to be able to answer any questions that volunteers may have.
- Love for animals: This is at the core of what we do at MAA. A deep love & compassion for animals is essential.
- Be in good physical health: The job is not only mentally taxing. It is physical. You will be on your feet all day, every day. Being in good physical shape is a necessity.
- Strong leadership capabilities: You will be leading a team with a variety of different skill levels, backgrounds & values. It is important that you are able to be a strong example of what is expected & set the standard for volunteer behaviour & attitude.
- Strong communication skills: The ability to be able to communicate information clearly & concisely both orally & written. We often need to face “life or death” situations. The smallest piece of information no matter how small or large it may be/could be detrimental to animals in our care.
- Project Management skills: The ability to recognise tasks to be completed, delegate work to others & be able to manage the progress through to completion.
- People management skills: Must be capable of building trustworthy relationships with peers.
- Experience working in a developing country
- Experience working with animals or studying with animals
- Language Skills: Speaks French or Arabic
What’s on offer? Benefits
The opportunity to go to work with 150 animals every day & help create a shift towards a safer, healthier, happier future for the animals of Morocco. We are a family here. But we work hard. Really hard. The work is smelly, noisy, dirty & physical. But the reward will always outweigh the sacrifice. We are here for them.
In return, you will be offered accommodation, food, wifi & a whole lot of love from our furry friends.
Serious applications only. Please contact Megan@moroccoanimalaid.com to apply.
Morocco Animal Aid, a community project, supporting local animal welfare charities, associations and care providers to raise awareness, reduce and relieve suffe… Altro…
“The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”
― Albert Einstein
Click here to see more volunteer opportunities on Animal sanctuary around the world (dog shelter) (general shelter)
See more volunteering opportunities in Morocco.