Social media opportunity – In this exciting new role, our Media, Recruitment and Marketing (MRM) volunteer will oversee the online presence of the Bukit Lawang Trust (a grassroots NGO based in North Sumatra focused on Conservation and Education), managing our social media presence through various platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and our website. Additionally, the MRM Volunteer will recruit and process new applicants to the Trust’s many programs, in keeping with the Trust’s standard operating procedures.
The MRM volunteer is an unpaid voluntary position for a duration of 6 months. Candidates are required to have some experience working with children, as at times they may be asked to assist in lessons.
The volunteer exchange
The MRM will receive a food allowance of 500,000IDR a month (£30 a month) plus free accommodation, as well as having their breakfast & lunch provided on weekdays. An average meal
here in Bukit Lawang costs 25,000IDR.
As part of the role the MMR is responsible for recruiting their own replacement after the 6-month period as required. The notice period of this role is 3 months. Should the volunteer be interested in staying on placement for longer than the required 6 months, this can be discussed with the Bukit Lawang Trust Managers after their 3-month probation period.
The MRM is responsible for recruiting:
- 8 volunteers for the Trust every two months (for each volunteering cycle)
- 4 Volunteers for Erna’s Eco-Farm every two months (per cycle)
- Managing the Trust’s website and all social media platforms.
- Replying to emails and forwarding relevant emails to the managers where applicable.
- Finding and arranging fundraising opportunities and donations for the Trust
- Assisting volunteers in their action at home project and promoting these projects on social media and our website.
- Managing the Bukit Lawang Trust alumni society.
- Advertising the Trust to international volunteers – via our existing recruitment platforms
- Updating all advertisements and finding new sites to advertise on.
- Showing visitors around the Trust as required
- Ensure that the weekly pub quizzes are organised.
- Planning and teaching lessons at the Trust as required.
Volunteer wellbeing and entertainment
Some evenings the advertising volunteer will be the most senior staff members staying in our building. Part of their role includes socialising with other volunteers, including arranging our weekly cooking rota and showing volunteers the best spots in Bukit Lawang!
Applicants must also be willing to:
- Immerse themselves in the community, attend weekly Bahasa lessons held at the Trust to improve their language.
- Attend community events such as weddings, funerals, parties etc.
- Go out and meet staff at guest houses on a regular basis to maintain good relations with the community.
- Work with the managers and prominent community figures to raise awareness of Trust/ Extend reach of Trust.
- Maintain and build the existing relationship with Bukit Lawang Indah and Orangutan Explore.
Requirements – the volunteer candidate must:
- have experience using social media .
- demonstrate excellent communication skills.
- be fluent in the English Language
- be enthusiastic, hardworking, resilient and adaptable.
- show initiative and creativity
- have experience with children
- Should have experience teaching or leading activities
- have experience editing websites using platforms such as Wix.
- should have experience in recruitment
- have experience in advertising events and campaigns.
Start Date – Monday 13th July.
Monday 13th July. Should arrive in North Sumatra on the 12th of July ready to begin placement on the Monday.
To apply, please email your CV and Cover letter to
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/BukitLawangTrust
Go to Social Media opportunities section