Join the Woezor foundation as a volunteer in Ghana
Ghana volunteer experience – We are a charity, committed to addressing poverty among disadvantaged households in slums and rural villages in Ghana, African through Education and access to health at our Schools, Resource Centers, Home for Children and Hospitals and Clinics. Our organization depends on the generosity of donors and volunteers to achieve our goals. There are different ways of supporting our cause and we welcome any help we can get.
What we need
We need online volunteers and Physical (Onsite) volunteers to work in the areas of fundraising (resources Mobilization) to enable us to deliver in our programs. Physical (onsite) volunteers are needed most; at our children’s homes, assistant teachers for Music, Computer & languages, Sports coaching & Trainers, Counseling, Construction projects, Administration, Medical, Youth & Women Empowerment projects, community projects, and mental health projects in Ghana.
Highlights for physical (onsite) volunteers
You will have the opportunity to experience the true African way of life, which will expand your perspective of the world, and memories that you’ll never forget during your weekend excursions & safaris
- The programs are many and suitable for volunteers from the age of 14 years and above, High School & University Students, Professionals, Couples & Families with their children, and Adults of 50+ years.
- After the completion of your online/ Onsite volunteer offer, WOEZOR will write you a good and official recommendation letter and Certificate of Appreciation/Recognition for your time and service to us.
- Our project sites are truly an exciting place to be, a place where you can really make a difference, we have a 100% safety record in Ghana & we mean to keep it.
- You will become more passionate about your major and propel your career with international experience. This could possibly count as an internship if acknowledged by your University & future employers.
Below is the list of ongoing programs.
Teaching in our School and Communities
We are looking for Assistant teachers at our Schools, to help us teach Mathematics, Science, English, Computer studies and more. You can also help us on:
- Preparing lessons
- Teaching lessons to students
- Speaking English with students
- Helping with homework
- 1-on-1 tutoring during or after lessons
- Connecting and spending time with the students
- Organizing games and activities for students
We are looking for volunteers to help us at our Adult & Children’s Home in:
- Feeding them and care for their basic needs
- Setting up activities and games for entertainment, aimed at building self-esteem, learning, and just having fun.
- Help with afternoon activities, assisting with cooking, or helping them out with homework.
- Provide education lessons for older children to help them prepare for school.
- Provide essential support to these marginalized kids.
- Teach impoverished children important skills such as hygiene practices.
- Improve their future prospects and help them to break the poverty cycle by supplying quality early childhood teaching.
- Teaching basic classes, for example, teaching them colours, shapes and numbers
Medical, Healthcare, & Clinical assistant are required at our community hospitals especially;
- Dental assistants
- General doctors
- Health & hygiene assistant volunteers
- Mental Health Practitioners
Sports lovers volunteers are needed to come and help Village Sports & Recreation Coaching Academy Sports, skilled in any of the following sports
- Other unique game you may know, you can also introduce etc.
We invite volunteers who are looking for practical skills
- for a good cause in Ghana (especially the ongoing construction project we are doing for the poor and vulnerable families) to help these families together to have decent shelter. As you will support locals in ongoing construction and renovation projects, you will be immersed in Ghanaian culture and make new friends. Most homes we are serving are in terrible conditions. Entire families reside in cardboard shacks, lacking all amenities. That is why we need your help to impact more.
Music, Art, Dance, and Culture Lovers,
- we need you to join us and help to teach Music, Dance, Art, and Design. Music, Dance, Culture, and arts are what makes the world beautiful and have the ability to illuminate people’s lives. Whether you play an instrument, or gifted in arts & crafts, or have a passion for photography, Drawing, Painting, Graphic Design, we need your help.
Some volunteers are needed to Join Community Service.
- If you‘re a people person, your help is crucial to support some programs we are doing for the community to encourage cultural interchange and community development. Join us and have fun with many activities we are doing on
- Human rights programs
- Construction projects
- Outreach programs
- Empowerment projects for youths and women
- Refugee camp
- Retirement homes
- Rescue centres for street children
- Culture, and the arts
- Social Work
Volunteers interested in Eco farms and Ecotourism Opportunities
- can also apply to experience an opportunity for those who want to help rural and slums community farming, climate change programs, and other sustainable activities such as organic farming, and Reforestation.
Volunteers good at NGO Management, Media, and administration support are also needed in this department to help.
We also have Disabled Kids and Special Needs Care program that needs more hands.
- It is a highly rewarding and challenging experience at the same time.
- Assisting in therapy
- Teaching Special Education lessons
- Restoring mental health
- Guiding disabled individuals toward Suitable jobs
- Building self-confidence
What’s the mission of your community?
Our mission is to improve community livelihoods through empowerment; sustainable agricultural production; environmental conservation; health education and promotion; economic empowerment and nutrition; skills development and educational support and among others.
How many volunteers could you host?
Groups of volunteers
When would you need volunteers?
All year round
How many hours of help per day?
4-5 hours of help per day
How many days of help per week?
4 days of help per week – 3 days off
Note about the volunteer work and other expectations
It is essential that you speak English for effective collaboration. We are looking for people that can help in any of the following:
- connect our non-profit project to prospective sponsors or businesses
- grant writing for the project fundraising programs
- children sponsorship for educational costs
- School assistance:
- assisting teachers with music, arts & craft, sports, English development and curriculum subjects
- searching for opportunities for twinning/partnerships with schools abroad
- Project management:
- We are looking for opportunities to further develop and improve our project. If you have experience and skills in this area we would welcome your input.
- Help increase efficiency and sustainability of the project
- Creation of a You Tube channel that captures the culture and traditions of this region (eg. cooking videos, impacts of climate change, storytelling, daily routine)
- Music club and creative Arts
We have formed a music/creative art department that will be active even during school holidays. These are majorly introduced to exploit the hidden talents of the children. Anyone who wants to donate or support us with any musical instruments such as piano, guitar, flutes etc are encouraged to do so.
We need volunteers to help in our permaculture farm, tree nursery and the maintenance of the newly launched memorial forest.
for those interested in videography we don’t have any equipment available on site so please bring your own.
If you have any skills which you feel could be beneficial to us we would love to hear from you. When contacting us please describe the work you are interested in doing and we will send you a booklet with further information.
Are accommodation and food included?
Yes, we offer free food and accommodation
What type of accommodation can you provide?
- Private Room
- Private home
- Private room for a couple
Diet – nutrition information
We provide food and water for our volunteers at no cost; breakfast, lunch and dinner. Breakfast is a hot drink (tea, Nescafe, chocolate drink etc.) and bread with margarine or peanut butter, oat or milk. For lunch and dinner, we prepare local foods. For example, banku, rice, yam, plantain, fufu, beans, stew, soup, fish and sometimes meat. If you are vegetarian, or you need a special diet, please let us know in order to accommodate your needs.
VISA – could you provide Visa support/info/invitation letters?
Yes, we can help with Visa/invitation letters
Cultural exchange and learning opportunities
While on an exchange, volunteers can benefit from a multitude of unique life experiences. You can also have a tour exposer around our local area at your own expense. To put it simply, the exchange is eternally awesome! Here are our top five reasons why going on exchange with us is a worthwhile life experience:
- Experience a new culture and learn a new language
- Being part of a sustainable project to save Have natural resources
- Make friends from all around the world
- Get a ‘second family’
- Personal development
What to do in the free time
In exchange for 4 hours of work per day (usually in the morning) you can participate in activities such as
- Cinema/ Films on a projector,
- Music therapy with oriental instruments
- Nature walks
- Trips to different tourist attractions/safaris
- Teaching English, Drawing, and painting with our children
- Social activities like cleanliness to our schools
- Visiting people living with HIV/AIDS, and Elders
- Cooking classes. Our volunteers will learn how to cook different types of Ghanaian foods during their free time
- Bonfire, etc
You may also need extra cash for your personal expenses which include:
- your trips,
- shopping at local markets,
- weekend excursions.
It’s more fun and secures to walk with one of our tours and travel Professional local volunteers to guide you.
We operate in a rural area called Have in the Volta Region of Ghana on the main road from Accra to Hohoe, three hours far from Accra, the Capital city of Ghana. Other cities are relatively close to Have. For instances, Ho, the regional capital of Volta Region is just 40 minutes far from Have by car. A car at Kpando takes about 20 minutes and to Hohoe it takes about 1 hour. The main transport system in the Region is the “tro-tro”, a collective van that you can pick up on the road and takes you to the surrounded cities for a reduced price. Have is surrounded by tropical rainforest and lies between the Akwapim-Togo Mountain range and the Volta lake.
In addition, Have is a peaceful village where people show great hospitality to volunteers who come to contribute to our development.
How to get to your site
Arrangements towards your arrival will be made as soon as we receive your application. A member of our team will be at the airport to pick you and bring you to our project site.
Is there internet access?
No, we don’t have WIFI
Ghana volunteer experience – Let’s communicate❗
See more volunteering opportunities in Ghana