Stephen Cox Garden Trust Volunteer project in England – Welcome to our conservation charity garden in the heart of rural Wiltshire, England. It’s a friendly, mellow, rural atmosphere: to explore England, learn skills and enrich your outlook in life. Our mission:
- (1) To advance education in horticulture & conservation in particular but not exclusively by means of: making videos; library; public literature; research; mentoring; publishing; websites; student placements; teaching.
- (2). Such charitable purposes for the public benefit as are exclusively charitable according to the laws of England and Wales as the trustees may from time to time determine.
We do not employ workers and are entirely voluntary and unpaid existing on donations.
What type of host are you? 🏡
What are you looking for help with?
- Building 🛠
- Cleaning 🧹
- Farming/Gardening 🌿🐄
- General Help 💁♀️
What’s the mission of your community? 🎯
Registered charity (#1174239) to advance education in horticulture & conservation.
Receive visiting groups; teach horticulture & conservation; make videos; skill training for the unemployed, resource for adults with learning difficulties.
Links to 7 British universities for student conservation research articles, and for making videos.
Volunteers’ age restrictions 🔞
At present, we offer residential placements for male students/tourists/volunteers aged 18-28 (female accommodation dependent on local host families). You can also be flexible in your timetable to have long weekends off for excursions. (Occasionally those age 16-18 are accepted but with specific parental approval and if during term time then school/college authorisation must also be provided)
How many volunteers could you host? 🎎
- Only one volunteer
When would you need volunteers? 📅
How many hours of help per day? ⏱
- 4-5 hours of help per day
How many days of help per week? 🌒
- 5 days per week – 2 days off
Note about the volunteer work and other expectations 📝
It’s a friendly, mellow, rural atmosphere: to explore England, learn skills and enrich your outlook. Volunteer activities include
- maintaining: fish ponds & wetlands,
- herbs/vegetable/fruit areas.
No previous experience is required. As a charity approved by the UK Govt. Charity Commission, we provide Induction by means of: the simple application form and documents/protocols relating to student welfare, well-being, health and safety, house routine and other matters.
Are accommodation and food included? 🏠🍜
Yes, we offer food and accommodation
What type of accommodation can you provide? 🏕
- Private Room 🔑
Diet – nutrition information 🥗🥤
- 3 meals a day vegetarian based but milk/cheese/eggs are used.
Fees transparency 🆓🔍
VISA Information 🛂
We are not able to help with VISA. We only accept applications from those countries which do not need a visa for tourist entry (as per UK Gov regulation that standard visitors not requiring a visa may enter as a tourist and volunteer at a registered UK charity for a maximum of 30 days) (https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor)
Enquirers should check the UK Gov list to see if they need a visa (which is also on that page).
Volunteers’ benefits 🏆🏅
- Cultural exchange and learning opportunities. Gaining a wide range of skills & insights in horticulture, landscaping, garden crafts, art & design.
- Improving self-reliance, initiative, and confidence.
- Improve spoken and written English.
- Developing an understanding of English heritage, traditions, history, and society.
- Explore this part of England and its wide range of historical and cultural attractions.
- Opportunity to interact with the local community and events, incl the church, sports clubs, and wood carving club.
- Join training sessions with local football, volleyball, and basketball clubs.
What to do in your free time 🚴🚣🦒
- PLACES TO VISIT NEARBY: Major attractions include: Stonehenge; Roman Bath; Bristol; Malmesbury; Longleat House; Lacock Abbey; Salisbury Cathedral; Avebury Stone Circles; Bowood House & Gardens; Cotswold Water Park; Somerset coast; South Wales castles & mountains.
- GYM: There is a fully equipped on-site gym.
- Use of bicycle.
- Good countryside full of jogging and walking.
Based in Wiltshire in a small village set within a beautiful rural landscape. The famous Bowwood House and Gardens and golf resort is a 10-minute walk away. We are equidistant between the towns of Calne and Chippenham. Buses from outside the house every 20 minutes.
Weather is typically English fairly mild most of the year.
In the village, there is a general store, post office, village hall, 2 pubs, church, golf resort, woodcarving club, football club, river, Bowood House & Gardens.
How to get to your site ✈ 🗺
The nearest airport is Bristol: airport shuttle bus then train then bus to the trust= total of 1.5> 2hrs.
There is a bus from Chippenham railway station every 20 minutes to the house. Takes 12 minutes.
The nearest railway station is Chippenham on the main route from London and all London airports.
And National Express coach from London to Chippenham.
Is there internet access? 🌐
“Paying guests” Option. Could you accommodate “solidarity” tourists? 🎎
Maybe. This needs to be discussed via e-mail 💁
CONTACT DETAILS 🔍📧
Host Email ✉ email@example.com
Facebook page: Stephen Cox Garden Trust
Hostname 📛 Stephen Cox Garden Trust
See more volunteering opportunities in the UK